Domestic Violence & Types of Orders

If you are suffering from domestic violence, and are ready to ask for legal protection from your abuser, you may be concerned about what your options are. At Cary Goldstein, Esq., PC, our Beverly Hills family lawyers can help you obtain the right type of domestic violence restraining orders for you and your situation. Filing an order does not require any fees, and if ordered, must be followed. If the abuser continues to stalk, harass, abuse, or violate the order in any way, you must call the police immediately and notify law enforcement that the abuser is in civil contempt of the DVRO.

The following are the different kinds of domestic violence orders:

  • Emergency protective orders – An emergency protective order is issued by a judicial officer on the request of a law enforcement officer. These orders are only put into place when the police officer believes an immediate and present danger of domestic violence or child abuse.
  • Temporary restraining order – Temporary restraining orders are generally granted out of immediate necessity, and are put in place to prevent irreparable harm. If the abuser is a spouse, a temporary restraining order will force that person to leave the home and forgo all contact with the victim.
  • Restraining order – If a judge listens to your case and makes the decision to assign a restraining order, this order can last up to 5 years. During the last 3 months of the order, the victim can ask the judge to extend the order for another 5 years, or even permanently. This decision is entirely up to the discretion of the judge, and can be made without any proof of further abuse.

Contact Our Beverly Hills Family Lawyers Today

Are you in need of a Beverly Hills family lawyer to help you obtain a domestic violence restraining order? We at The Law Office of Cary Goldstein, Esq., PC have the resources, time, and energy to advocate on your behalf and deliver you the results you deserve. We are passionate about fighting on your behalf and won’t stop until your case is resolved.

Contact us at your earliest convenience by calling us at (310) 935-0711.